If you need an appetizer that is special but OH SO EASY and versatile, baked brie with Jezebel sauce is perfect and has a little Southern flair!
I recently did a kids’ cooking class where we made baked sesame chicken. It was delicious – panko crusted chunks of chicken thighs tossed in a sweet and sticky honey soy sauce. As I am typing this, I am wondering if I can find an excuse to make that for dinner tonight instead of the tacos I’m supposed to be taking pictures of.
Thing about it, though…one of the kids wanted his chicken unsauced. And this kid, according to his mom, is not a picky eater. He just. doesn’t. like. sauce. What is that? Like, I cannot even begin to wrap my head around this concept. No sauce? Does not compute. I can remember dipping my chicken McNuggets into ketchup as a babe then later becoming 100% obsessed with creamy honey mustard and finding new things I could dip into it.
This is why I have grown to love brie. Baked brie is the perfect vehicle for sauce…it goes just as well with sweet sauces as it does with savory. Need an appetizer? If you aren’t sure what to serve, pour some sauce over some baked brie and shazam. There you go. Whatcha gonna dip into it? Who cares!!! Crackers, vegetables, fruits…whatever you want.
This baked brie with Jezebel sauce is where it’s at. Have you ever had Jezebel sauce? With pineapple preserves, apple jelly, whole grain mustard, and horseradish, it’s sweet and a little bit tangy, and it’s great in so many applications. Can you imagine dipping fried chicken into this? Or maybe drizzling it on a sandwich (oh, wait, I’ve got that one covered – stay tuned for that later this week)? It’s absolutely fabulous, and served over baked brie it just POPS.
Serve this baked brie with Jezebel sauce the next time you need a great appetizer – you’ll be glad you did!
5 minPrep Time:
15 minCook Time:
20 minTotal Time:
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- 1/2 cup pineapple preserves
- 1/4 cup whole grain brown mustard
- 2-4 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 wedge brie cheese
- 1/2 cup Jezebel sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Place the brie in a small baking pan. Place it in the oven for 8 minutes.
- While the brie is baking, whisk together Jezebel sauce ingredients in a medium bowl. Remove the brie from the oven and pour the brie over. Place the walnuts on the side so that they will toast. Place the pan bake into the oven for 7 more minutes.
- Remove the brie from the oven and serve immediately with crackers, crostini, vegetables, or fruit. I like to bake this in a dish/pan that is nice enough to serve it in.