With bacon, ham, griddled onions, and three kinds of cheese, this is definitely the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich in my book!
Cooking is hard, y’all.
Do you feel that way? I don’t mean that in the sense that it requires an unbelievable amount of skill to put dinner on the table every night. There are certainly tons of recipes out there that don’t require a culinary arts degree to pull them off. But those of you who work (which is the vast majority of you, because even if you work at home, you work) know that by 5 p.m. all you want to do is sit on the cushy couch and have someone bring food to you.
Sadly, except for the Domino’s guy, most of us don’t have anyone who’s going to do that for us. Maybe you’re like me and you get a little too ambitious with your menus sometimes…you are sure that it’s going to be fine, that you’re turning over a new leaf, and then at 5:30 p.m. on Monday you are declaring to your spouse (mom/best friend/child) that you need to just make a rule that you don’t cook on Mondays (not that I have ever said such a thing).
It’s helpful to have some staples up your sleeve that don’t take a lot of time and fill your need for Monday comfort food (I for one certainly need some comfort at the end of my Mondays). If you have bread, cheese, butter, bacon, and onions, this comfort food recipe is easy to pull off in less that thirty minutes (my recipe has ham too, but if you don’t have it, just leave it out). Why have a grilled cheese sandwich when you can have an ultimate grilled cheese sandwich?
This ultimate grilled cheese is loosely based on the deluxe grilled cheese that I had recently at Armando’s at Chester Frost. Their sandwich has turkey, roast beef, lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise, too. You could definitely add all of those things, but I didn’t want to buy a whole bunch of deli meat that probably wasn’t going to get eaten, so I just went with the porky elements and called it a day. And while I do enjoy lettuce, tomato, and mayo on a grilled cheese from time to time, I wanted this to just be gooey, melty, and warm, so I left them off. I don’t think it made this ultimate grilled cheese sandwich any less ultimate. Plus, I bake my ultimate grilled cheese sandwiches, so that gives you some hands-off time and takes the guess work out of getting the temperature on your oven right and figuring out when to flip and how to flip without losing all of your fillings.
This ultimate grilled cheese sandwich is the ultimate don’t want to cook Monday night comfort food!
Yield: 4 sandwiches
10 minPrep Time:
25 minCook Time:
35 minTotal Time:
- 4 strips bacon, diced
- 2 small pieces country ham, soaked in warm water then blotted dry and diced
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 ounces American cheese
- 3 ounces Cheddar cheese
- 3 ounces smoked Gouda cheese
- 2-4 tablespoons milk
- 8 slices sandwich bread (I used Pepperidge Farm potato bread)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Preheat a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Place the bacon in the skillet and cook until almost crisp. Add the diced ham and cook until the bacon is completely crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon and ham to a paper towel lined plate. Leave the drippings in the pan.
- Add one tablespoon of the butter to the pan. Cook the onions until lightly browned and remove to a bowl.
- Place the cheeses in a food processor. Blend on high, adding enough milk to get it to come together into a spreadable consistency.
- Spread each slice of bread with an even amount of the cheese mixture. Divide the onions and the bacon and ham among four of the slices of bread and top with the other four slices.
- Melt the remaining three tablespoons of butter. Brush both sides of each sandwich with butter and place on a baking sheet. Bake for five minutes then flip. Bake for another five to seven minutes, until browned and crispy on both sides. Serve immediately.