In this season of giving thanks, turkey and dressing pot pie is a great way to use up leftovers in a novel way that you might not have thought of before.
Is it really almost Thanksgiving again? It does not seem like a year ago when I was brainstorming Thanksgiving dishes and creative ways to use Thanksgiving leftovers. But, alas, it is almost here. And honestly, the timing couldn’t be better.
I know that Election Day is not held in November because of Thanksgiving, but I’ve never thought until right now about how apropos that timing is. Think about it: it doesn’t matter which side of the aisle you’re standing on, Presidential election seasons are tough, this one especially so. I found myself in stark disagreement with quite a few people who mean a lot to me, and that can be difficult.
So, it’s nice after the stress of what feels like a very long political battle (and yes, I know that the battles aren’t over, and never will be, but at least the election part of the battle is over) to step back and take stock of all of the things that we have to be thankful for. I am really trying to evaluate my own personal priorities, to be a better person – a better wife, daughter, sister, friend, co-worker, stranger on the street. Life can be tough, and sometimes when I feel beaten down by the stresses of my life (political or not), it’s very humbling to just take a few minutes to remember all of the wonderful things about my life.
Honestly, it feels a little silly to transition from being pretty serious (something I don’t do here often) to talking about turkey and dressing pot pie. So, I won’t say much about it. Suffice it to say that I am thankful for you guys and so glad that you trust me to tell you what to cook and where to eat.
And I hope you trust me when I say that your leftover Thanksgiving turkey and dressing belongs in this turkey and dressing pot pie.
Yield: 4-6 servings
10 minPrep Time:
30 minCook Time:
40 minTotal Time:
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded turkey
- salt, to taste
- 2-3 cups leftover dressing (stuffing)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the potatoes and carrots in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and add 2 teaspoons of salt. Boil until tender. Drain and set aside.
- While the potatoes and carrots are cooking, place the butter in a 10-inch skillet and set over medium heat. Sauté the onion in the butter until tender and beginning to turn translucent. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir. Cook for about one minute. Slowly stir in the chicken broth and cook until thickened.
- Add the turkey to the mixture and salt to taste. Stir in the potatoes and carrots. Crumble the dressing over the top of the mixture (if you don't want to make it in the skillet, you can transfer it to a 9-inch pie plate before adding the dressing).
- Bake for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
You can use shredded chicken for this as well.