The Instant Pot is great for all sorts of things, but rice is one of my favorites. Here are my super-simple directions for cooking rice in the Instant Pot (video included)!
Rice is one of those super-basic dishes that most people seem to cook all the time as a side dish or as a base for a main dish. Truth be told, though, before I got my Instant Pot, I rarely cooked rice. I really can’t explain it…it certainly isn’t like it’s difficult to boil a little water on the stovetop, throw in some rice, salt, and butter, lid up, and let it simmer for a bit. For some reason it just seemed like a pain to me, which I know is completely ridiculous.
Cooking rice in the Instant Pot, though, changed my life. Well, that might be a little dramatic…but I love cooking rice in the Instant Pot and now I do it all the time. There is a rice setting on the Instant Pot, but I never use it. I find that when I cook rice using the rice setting that it gets a little gummy. You could definitely change the time setting, but I just use the manual setting (because that’s what I do for most things).
To get rice that’s just a little firm to the tooth, cook it for three minutes. If you like your rice a little softer, go for four minutes. This recipe is just for white rice, so you’ll need to up the time for brown rice (I’ll do a video on that later). For this recipe, you’ll use a quick release of the steam (turn the steam release handle from sealing to venting rather than letting the Instant Pot depressurize naturally).
Perfect white rice in the slow cooker is easy and (relatively) quick to make. It’s a pressure setting so you do have to wait a little bit for it to come to pressure, but it doesn’t take that long. All you need is water, rice, salt, and butter, and there you go – perfect white rice!
Be sure to comment below and let me know your Instant Pot questions and what you would like to see next on Chattavore!
Yield: about 2 cups rice
5 minPrep Time:
5 minTotal Time:
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt (optional)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (optional)
- Place all ingredients into the Instant Pot. Place the lid and set the steam release handle to sealing.
- Press the "manual" button. Use the "-" button to set the time to 3 minutes for firmer rice or 4 minutes for slightly softer rice.
- When the Instant Pot beeps, press the "keep warm/cancel" button to turn the Instant Pot off. Carefully turn the steam release handle to venting, standing away from the Instant Pot to avoid the steam. When the float valve drops, remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.
Amounts can be increased to make more rice. Just use equal parts rice and water and slightly adjust the salt and butter amounts accordingly.