These hot ham and cheese sandwiches can be baked in the air fryer or in the oven and make for one of the quickest and easiest dinners ever! Easy clean-up, too!
Hot Ham & Cheese
You know those days when you just can’t even? You know…the days when cooking sounds like something completely out of your wheelhouse but leaving the house to go get takeout sounds pretty terrible too?
I know that some of you might live in a place where good delivery is pretty easy to come by but this is not my reality here in the Chattanooga suburbs. It’s pizza or bust…or figure it out yourself.
That’s where these hot ham and cheese sandwiches come in at my house. These have it all. They’re super simple to make, absolutely delicious, and require less clean-up than a drive-thru bag. I promise.
Easy Clean Up!
I throw together the sandwiches each on their own individual sheet of aluminum foil, wrap them up in the foil, and bake them. We eat them off of the foil so we don’t even have plate to wash – we just crumple up the foil and toss it. So. Easy.
These hot ham and cheese sandwiches can be baked in the oven or the toaster oven, or, if you have one, in the air fryer. No matter which one you choose, they take less than ten minutes to bake and less than fifteen from start to finish.
They’re also super-versatile. Don’t have ham? Okay, do you have turkey? Roast beef? Chicken? You’re good to go. You can use pre-sliced cheese or slice your own, or throw on some grated cheese. Buns or sliced bread? Doesn’t matter. Use what ya got. Serve with chips, pretzels, or some raw vegetables and you’re golden.
I guarantee you that you are probably going to have everything you need to make these:
- Bread (I like onion rolls but you can literally use whatever bread you have – sliced bread, pitas, whatever)
- Lunch meat (ham, turkey, roast beef, chicken)
- Cheese (sandwich slices, grated cheese, or slice your own off of a block)
- Condiments (I use mayo and mustard)
- Any extras you’d like (if I have a few extra minutes I will throw on some bacon…if I have a lot of extra minutes I might make some caramelized onions…but if I am making these right before we want to eat, I don’t bother)
And there you go. Hot ham and cheese sandwiches are my go-to last minute easy dinner. And I don’t know about you, but with school starting back I’m going to need these in my back pocket! Check out my recipe index for more easy recipes!
Yield: 4 sandwiches
5 minPrep Time:
10 minCook Time:
15 minTotal Time:
- 4 onion or kaiser rolls
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 12 ounces thinly sliced deli ham (you can use other deli meats, such as turkey or roast beef, if preferred)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional but highly recommended)
- 4 sandwich size slices cheese, your choice of variety (I used Gouda)
- handful of your choice of potato chips
- sliced tomatoes (again, optional but highly recommended)
- Preheat the oven or air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Tear 4 sheets of aluminum foil large enough to wrap a sandwich. Place each roll on a sheet of foil and split the rolls open.
- Divide the mayonnaise among one cut side of each roll and the mustard among the other cut side of each roll. Divide the sliced ham among the bottom halves of the rolls. Evenly sprinkle one crumbled slice of bacon on top of the ham on each roll and top each with one slice of cheese.
- Top each sandwich with the top half of the roll. Wrap the sandwiches with the foil. Be carefully not to wrap too tightly, which will compress the sandwiches.
- Bake the sandwiches in the oven for ten minutes or the air fryer for five. Open the foil, remove the top half of each sandwich roll, and top with a few chips and a slice or two of tomato if desired. Replace the top and serve immediately. I just serve right off of the foil for easy clean-up.