This classic chicken pot pie is exceedingly simple but totally from scratch. It is the perfect cool weather comfort food! Scroll down for video.
Who doesn’t love the comfort of a classic chicken pot pie? When I was a kid, my mom’s homemade chicken pot pie with a biscuity-type topping was one of my favorite things that she made. I also really, really loved the frozen Swanson chicken pot pies that had about 1 million calories apiece. For several years I made it with refrigerated pie crust, Veg-All, canned chicken, and cream of chicken soup. I tell you, for a college student, that’s good eating.
These days, of course, my classic chicken pot pie is a little more involved…but still pretty dang easy and always crazy comforting. I love to make a little creamy chicken and white wine sauce, throw in whatever vegetables I have, and wrap this all up in cream cheese pie crust. Could it be more perfect for a cool fall day? Oh, and obviously, this chicken pot pie would also be perfect for your Thanksgiving turkey leftovers.
Yield: 4-8 servings
15 minPrep Time:
50 minCook Time:
1 hr, 5 Total Time:
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- pie crust for double-crust pie (I used this cream cheese pie crust)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 4 mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or Vermouth
- 1 cup unsalted chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk, half and half, or heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350?. Place the potatoes and carrots in a small sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and add a teaspoon of salt. Boil until cooked through then drain.
- Roll half of the pie crust out into a 10-12 inch circle and press into a 9-inch pie pan or a deep dish tart pan (my favorite way to make any pie these days). Place in the refrigerator until ready to fill.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Place the onions and celery into the pan and cook until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened. Sprinkle with the flour. Stir and cook for one minute.
- Add the white wine and stir. Cook until thickened. Add the chicken broth and the milk, half and half, or cream. Stir to combine and cook until thickened.
- Add the chicken and stir to combine. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove the bottom pie crust from the refrigerator and pour the chicken pot pie mixture in.
- Roll the top pie crust into a 10-12 inch circle and lay on top of the pie. Seal the edges and discard the excess. Cut 4 vents into the top crust. Bake for 25-30 minutes then, if desired, brown the top under the broiler.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow to stand for 15-20 minutes before serving.
If you prefer not to use the wine, just sub in chicken broth.
Shared on The Weekend Potluck on Served Up With Love!