This summer vegetable soup is light but filling, full of fresh vegetables, and just a little creamy, thanks to the addition of DREAM Ultimate Almond!
This post was sponsored by DREAM via Honest Cooking. As always, all opinions are my own.
Regular Chattavore readers know that I will eat soup year-round. I don’t think that it’s ever “too hot” for soup. I mean, a burger off the grill is hot, too, but people eat those all summer like they’re going out of style! For me, soup is the ultimate in simplicity and comfort. Plus, I cannot think of many things that cannot be “soupified” with delicious results.
Another thing…it really doesn’t bother me to eat “heavy” food year round. I’m happy eating fettuccine Alfredo 365 days a year, so rich, creamy soups do not bother me one bit. I know that a lot of people don’t see eye to eye with me on that one, though. A lot of people want to lighten up their food choices a little bit in the summer. Light salads, lots of fruit – hey, I can get down with it. I mean, when summer crops are in season, I like to take advantage too. And it’s not like I eat heavy cream every day. We all have to draw the line somewhere.
When I think of ways that I can cram all the vegetables into a dish, pastas and soups seem like the most obvious choices. Zucchini, crookneck squash, red peppers, jalapeño, mushrooms, onions, celery…what else could I fit into this summer vegetable soup? I did a quick sauté in butter to start softening everything up then I added some vegetable broth and let it simmer. DREAM Ultimate Almond Unsweetened Almond Beverage added just a hint of creaminess and a very mild nutty flavor. A dream indeed. Just my opinion, I think it made the soup a little more filling than similar soups I’ve made with whole milk or cream.
DREAM Ultimate Almond is available at Whole Foods Market and will soon be available at Sprouts. Since it’s lactose, dairy, and gluten-free, it’s great for people who are avoiding those things. It’s made with four times as many nuts as other almond beverages, giving it a richer, “homemade” taste and boosting the protein quotient to 5 grams per serving. It’s available in unsweetened, original, and vanilla. Plus, it’s delicious…so how could you go wrong? You can find a coupon at DreamPlantBased.com.
My summer vegetable soup with DREAM Ultimate Almond is a winner!
Yield: 4 servings
This simple soup comes together in about half an hour. It's light but filling. Use coconut instead of butter to make a vegan soup.
10 minPrep Time:
20 minCook Time:
30 minTotal Time:
- 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced or quartered
- 2 small zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium yellow squashes, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups DREAM Ultimate Almond, Unsweetened
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the butter or coconut oil in a 6 quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and celery and sauté until beginning to soften, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the pepper and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until beginning to soften. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and yellow squash and stir to combine. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until all of the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the DREAM Ultimate Almond. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately, topped with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.