These seasoned skillet pork chops come together in less than half an hour for a delicious weeknight dinner! The tangy sauce is perfect on the side.
There’s something about a roast that just makes dinnertime seem so simple. Even though roasts have to cook for a really long time, they’re so easy…just season and roast. Boom. Even better if you can put it in the slow cooker or the Instant Pot. You don’t even have to heat up your kitchen!
The thing is, if you only have two people living in your house, a roast isn’t always practical. I mean, pork shoulders and chuck roasts are great because you can shred them up and throw the leftovers in the freezer, then pull them out whenever you need a filling for a sandwich or a taco. But with a roast that you slice up, the freezer option doesn’t seem that appealing.
There was this roast that my grandmother used to make all the time when I was a kid. It was a pork loin, seasoned with a spice mixture that included chili powder, served with a sweet and tangy sauce made from apple jelly and ketchup. It was absolutely delicious and it was one of the things that stands out in my mind that she made. Pretty much a flawless meal.
But again…it’s kind of hard to find a pork loin that isn’t gigantic. But you know what isn’t gigantic? Pork chops. So, I took my grandmother’s pork loin roast and turned it into these seasoned skillet pork chops. Not only did they taste great, these skillet pork chops were such a quick dinner. The sauce only takes about 5 minutes to whisk up, and the pork chops come together from start to finish in less than 20 minutes. I served them with some Instant Pot mashed potatoes from A Calculated Whisk (💯). Seasoned skillet pork chops are a fabulous weeknight dinner!
Yield: 4 pork chops, 1 cup sauce
5 minPrep Time:
20 minCook Time:
25 minTotal Time:
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless pork chops, approximately 1/2 inch thick
- To make the sauce, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Set over medium heat and stir constantly until the apple jelly melts and the sauce is smooth. Bring to a boil and cook for two minutes. Remove from heat and pour into a serving bowl if using immediately. If not using immediately, pour into a jar or lidded bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine the chili powder, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Place the olive oil in a medium oven-safe skillet and set over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the pork chops on both sides with the spice mixture.
- Place the pork chops in the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side to brown. Remove from heat and place in the oven. Bake for about 6-8 minutes, until a thermometer inserted into the center reaches 145°. Serve immediately with warm sauce.