Slow Cooker No-Meat Tacos
|Prep time||5 minutes|
|Cook time||5 hours|
|Total time||5 hours, 5 minutes|
|From book||365 Slow Cooker Recipes by Stephanie O'Dea|
As luck would have it, this recipe is actually vegan too, provided you use vegetable broth and leave out dairy-based toppings. Vegan or not, it's a fantastic recipe!
- 2 cups dried lentils, any color (rinsed)
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 packet taco seasoning (Stephanie recommends McCormick for those who are gluten-free. I made my own using 2 tbsp. chili powder, 2 tsp. cornstarch, 1 tsp. onion powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1/4 tsp. cumin, 1/4 tsp. paprika, and a dash of cayenne)
- taco shells or tortillas (for serving)
- taco toppings (such as sour cream, cheese, tomatoes, salsa, lettuce-whatever you like)
I divided my leftover lentils into individual sandwich bags and froze them for quick lunches and dinners.
|Place the lentils, broth, onions, and taco seasoning into a 4-quart slow cooker and stir. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours, until the lentils are tender to the bite. Serve on warmed tortillas or taco shells with desired toppings.|