Macaroon Ice Cream
|Prep time||9 hours|
|Cook time||20 minutes|
|Total time||9 hours, 20 minutes|
Made with coconut milk and full of toasted coconut and chocolate chips, this ice cream (ahem, frozen custard) contains flavors reminiscent of the classic cookie for which it is named.
- 1 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 4 Large egg yolks
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup shredded coconut (toasted lightly in a pan over medium heat)
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- The small amount of frozen custard added to the mixture before freezing will "seed" the mixture and help it to freeze more efficiently.
- Spreading the ice cream into a chilled metal pan will speed up the ripening process.
- I used a fresh whole coconut...but it is quite an undertaking. You can use store-bought sweetened coconut (reducing the sugar in the recipe to 1/2 cup), unsweetened dried coconut (I have found this at Whole Foods and Earth Fare), or store-bought unsweetened grated/shredded coconut (this is indeed difficult to find).
|Heat the coconut milk and sugar to a simmer over medium-low heat. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks until they turn light yellow in color and begin to form "ribbons" when you pull the whisk out.|
|Gradually add about a cup of the hot coconut milk mixture to the egg yolks and whisk thoroughly. This will temper the eggs and prevent them from "scrambling" when you add them to the pan.|
|Pour the coconut milk/egg mixture back into the pan and bring back to a simmer over medium-low to medium heat. Cook until thickened to a runny custard consistency. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any cooked bits of egg. Measure about half a cup of the custard into a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and freeze (you can skip this step but freezing a small amount to add in later will help the ice cream to freeze more efficiently). Refrigerate the remaining custard for at least four hours before the next step.|
|Place a metal cake pan into the freezer. Scrape the frozen custard into the rest of the custard and stir to incorporate (you will still have large chunks). Freeze according to the manufacturer's directions in an ice cream maker. When the freezing process is almost complete, add 3/4 cup of the toasted coconut and 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips into the mixture. Allow to incorporate.|
|Scrape the ice cream into the chilled cake pan. Freeze for at least four hours before serving. Top with remaining toasted coconut and chocolate chips.|