As simple of mixing some cocoa powder and malted milk powder into your favorite Rice Krispies treats recipe, malted chocolate Rice Krispie treats are so easy and absolutely delicious!
I’m kind of known for my Rice Krispie treats. Adapted from a recipe in my Smitten Kitchen cookbook, they’re buttery and salty and amazing. I make them for every family birthday, for lots of work lunches, and as many times as possible in-between. With a full stick of butter for an 8-inch pan of Rice Krispie treats, they’re super rich and gooey and have made me fall in love with a treat that I never really cared about before I made them this way. Add in some cocoa powder and malt powder, and you have an amazing, chocolatey treat!
What You Need to Make Malted Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats
- Unsalted butter
- Miniature marshmallows
- Cocoa powder
- Malted milk powder
- Rice Krispies or other crisp rice cereal
- Malted milk balls
- 8×8-inch square pan
How to Make Malted Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats
- Melt the butter over medium heat then add the marshmallows, cocoa powder, and malted milk powder. Stir until marshmallows are completely melted.
- Stir the cereal into the marshmallow mixture until completely coated.
- Spread the mixture into a buttered 8×8-inch square pan.
- Use the butter wrapper to press down the cereal mixture. Top with chopped malted milk balls and allow to cool before cutting into squares.
This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you click the link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission. This does not affect the cost to you. For more information, please see my disclosures. Thank you for supporting my blog!
Recommended for this recipe:
Yield: 16 treats
5 minPrep Time:
10 minCook Time:
15 minTotal Time:
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter plus more to butter the pan
- 1 10-ounce bags miniature marshmallows
- 3/4 cup malted milk powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 6 ounces crisp rice cereal (half of a regular-size box)
- 1/2 cup malted milk balls, chopped (optional)
- Use about a teaspoon of butter an 8-inch square pan and set aside. Place the butter in a 4-8 quart Dutch oven set over medium heat and stir until melted. Reserve the butter wrapper and any butter left over from buttering the pan.
- Keeping the pan over the heat, stir the marshmallows, malted milk powder, and cocoa powder into the melted butter until the marshmallows are completely melted. Stir in the crisp rice cereal until well combined.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Spread the butter left over from buttering the pan onto the butter wrapper. Use the butter wrapper to press down the top of the treats to level the top. Press the chopped malted milk balls into the top. Cool completely.
- When ready to serve, turn the treats out of the pan onto a cutting board. Flip them back over and cut into 16 squares. Keep in the pan, covered with foil, or in an airtight container for up to a week.
Don't be tempted to substitute Cocoa Krispies for the cereal and cocoa powder in this recipe. The chocolate flavor isn't as intense and the cereal makes the treats overly sweet.