Malted chocolate Rice Krispie treats combine my favorite frozen drink with my favorite sweet treat. They’re quick, easy, chewy, and satisfying!
I’m kind of known for my Rice Krispie treats. Adapted from a recipe in my Smitten Kitchen cookbook, they’re buttery and salty and amazing. I make them for every family birthday, for lots of work lunches, and as many times as possible in-between. With a full stick of butter for an 8-inch pan of Rice Krispie treats, they’re super rich and gooey and have made me fall in love with a treat that I never really cared about before I made them this way.
While Philip and I were on vacation in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago, I had a stroke of genius: malted chocolate Rice Krispie treats. Perhaps chocolate Rice Krispie treats are not exactly an earth-shattering idea, but I’d never thought about mixing malt into them. Philip and I both love a good, bitter malted chocolate milkshake, and it seemed to me that combining those flavors into a buttery, chewy Rice Krispie treat would be pretty serendipitous.
The first time that I made malted chocolate Rice Krispies treats, I used Cocoa Krispies. Turns out that combining Cocoa Krispies with marshmallows yields a treat that is delicious but way too sweet. So…the second time I made my chocolate Rice Krispie treats, I used plain crisped rice cereal and whisked cocoa powder into the buttery marshmallow mixture along with the malt powder. I pressed chopped malted milk balls into the top of the treats while they were still hot so that the chocolate would melt and hold them in place. These treats turned out much better…malty, sticky, sweet, buttery, chewy…perfect.
If you need a quick, chocolatey, delicious treat, try my malted chocolate Rice Krispie treats!
This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you click the link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission. This does not affect the cost to you. For more information, please see my disclosures. Thank you for supporting my blog!
Recommended for this recipe:
Yield: 16 treats
5 minPrep Time:
10 minCook Time:
15 minTotal Time:
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter plus more to butter the pan
- 1 10-ounce bags miniature marshmallows
- 3/4 cup malted milk powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 6 ounces crisp rice cereal (half of a regular-size box)
- 1/2 cup malted milk balls, chopped (optional)
- Use about a teaspoon of butter an 8-inch square pan and set aside. Place the butter in a 4-8 quart Dutch oven set over medium heat and stir until melted. Reserve the butter wrapper and any butter left over from buttering the pan.
- Keeping the pan over the heat, stir the marshmallows, malted milk powder, and cocoa powder into the melted butter until the marshmallows are completely melted. Stir in the crisp rice cereal until well combined.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Spread the butter left over from buttering the pan onto the butter wrapper. Use the butter wrapper to press down the top of the treats to level the top. Press the chopped malted milk balls into the top. Cool completely.
- When ready to serve, turn the treats out of the pan onto a cutting board. Flip them back over and cut into 16 squares. Keep in the pan, covered with foil, or in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Calories 1477
- Total Fat: 96 g 147.69%
- Saturated Fat: 59 g 295%
- Cholesterol: 244 mg 81.33%
- Sodium: 929 mg 38.71%
- Potassium: 245 mg 7%
- Total Carbohydrate: 148 g %
- Sugar: 17 g
- Protein: 13 g
- Vitamin A: 188.6%
- Calcium: 36 mg 3.6%
- Iron: 53 mg 294.44%