Instant Pot chicken and gnocchi soup is a creamy and delicious winter meal. Cooking the soup in the Instant Pot makes it amazingly easy!
Homemade Chicken & Gnocchi Soup > Any Canned Soup!
I have loved cream of chicken soup for as long as I can remember. As a kid and even now as an adult I would choose cream of chicken soup over chicken noodle as my “sick day soup”. This Instant Pot chicken and gnocchi soup is a grown up (but still kid-friendly!) version of my childhood favorite. Sure…you could make this on the stovetop; but the flavor that the Instant Pot extracts from the chicken can’t be matched, and you won’t believe how tender the chicken thighs are. I made this soup two weeks in a row and ate it for lunch nearly every day – that’s how much I love it!
Shared on Meal Plan Monday on Southern Bite and The Weekend Potluck on The Country Cook!
This post contains an affiliate link. This means that if you click the link and make a purchase on Amazon, I will receive a small commission. This does not affect the cost to you. For more information, please see my disclosures. Thank you for supporting my blog!
Yield: 6-8 servings
10 minPrep Time:
40 minCook Time:
50 minTotal Time:
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large or 2 small carrots, scrubbed or peeled, diced
- 1 stalk celery, scrubbed and diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 pound bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 pound potato gnocchi (I used mini gnocchi)
- 1 cup heavy cream, half and half, or whole milk
- 2 cups baby spinach
- salt and pepper, to taste
- On the Instant Pot, press the "sauté" button or turn the knob to select "sauté". Add the butter and allow it to melt. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until it begins to soften. Add the carrots and celery and cook until the carrots begin to soften.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to combine. Cook for about one minute. Slowly add 2 cups of the chicken stock, stirring constantly. Add the chicken thighs and press the "cancel" button to turn the Instant Pot off.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the steam release valve to "sealing". Choose the "manual" setting and set the time for 20 minutes.
- When the cook time is complete, press the "cancel" button to turn the Instant Pot off. Turn the steam release valve to "venting" and allow the pressure to release completely. Remove the lid.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the Instant Pot. Remove the skin and use two forks to pull the meat from the bones and shred it. Add the meat to the Instant Pot along with the remaining chicken broth.
- Select "sauté" again and allow the soup to come to a low boil. Add the gnocchi and cook, stirring frequently, until the gnocchi float.
- Add the cream, milk, or half and half and the spinach and cook until the soup is heated through and the spinach is wilted. Salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Cook time does not include the time that it takes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure. This takes about 15-20 minutes.
- Calories 1859
- Total Fat: 139 g 213.85%
- Saturated Fat: 65 g 325%
- Cholesterol: 586 mg 195.33%
- Sodium: 2081 mg 86.71%
- Potassium: 626 mg 17.89%
- Total Carbohydrate: 46 g %
- Sugar: 15 g
- Protein: 94 g
- Vitamin A: 217.12%
- Calcium: 422 mg 42.2%
- Iron: 10 mg 55.56%