Who doesn’t love a one-pot dinner? Instant Pot butternut squash & sausage pasta is simple and full of delicious flavors that will warm you on a cool night! Scroll down for video.
Oh hey, have I mentioned that I have a little obsession with my Instant Pot (<–affiliate link)? Okay, good. I’m just making sure that you all know about this awesome countertop appliance that feeds us at least once a week, usually more.
Anyway, this post is not really to harp on and on about how much I love the Instant Pot. It’s to share this Instant Pot butternut squash & sausage pasta with you. These days I just about always cook my pasta in the Instant Pot or using a one-pot method. When a friend told me about a recipe from The Chew that had pasta, cheese, sausage, and butternut squash, I knew I had to adapt it for the Instant Pot.
I don’t love Italian sausage but if you do, feel free to use it here. That’s what was in the original recipe. I used chicken and apple sausage; I like the sweetness and the warm spices. A little cottage cheese or ricotta stirred in gives it extra creaminess, and instead of wrestling with a whole butternut squash on a weeknight I just dump in a bag of frozen, cubed butternut squash.
Yield: 6-8 servings
This recipe is loosely adapted from a recipe from The Chew
10 minPrep Time:
25 minCook Time:
35 minTotal Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 1 package chicken & apple sausage (4 sausages), cut into rounds
- 8 ounces mini farfalle (bowtie) pasta or another small pasta shape
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water (or enough to cover the pasta)
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 1 pound frozen cubed butternut squash
- several fresh sage leaves, cut in chiffonade
- more salt, to taste
- Press the sauté on the front of the Instant Pot. When the Instant Pot gets hot, add the olive oil. When the olive oil shimmers, add the onion and cook until beginning to turn translucent. Add the sausage and cook until lightly browned.
- Add the pasta to the Instant Pot. Add just enough water to cover the pasta/sausage mixture. Stir to combine. Cover with the lid and set the vent to "sealing". Press the manual button then use the - button to set the time to 4 minutes.
- When the cook time is complete, press the off button and turn the vent back to venting. Remove the lid and add the cottage cheese, mozzarella, and butternut squash and stir to combine. Press the sauté button and cook, stirring frequently, until the squash is warm.
- Add the sage and salt to taste. Stir to combine and serve immediately.
Cook time includes time for the Instant Pot to reach pressure.