If you think you hate green bean casserole, try this one. Green bean casserole from scratch > green bean casserole NOT from scratch. By a long shot!
Green Bean Casserole?
I love green bean casserole – how about you?
I think green bean casserole has gotten a bad rap. It’s a ubiquitous Thanksgiving favorite (have you seen the commercial where every person that shows up for Thanksgiving dinner says, “We brought the green bean casserole!”?), yet it seems that everyone’s idea of what green bean casserole is is an image of a gluey casserole made by throwing a few cans of things together and baking it up.
I’m not even knocking casseroles made with canned soup and green beans, but taking a little time to cook fresh green beans, sauté some onions and mushrooms, and make your own sauce is 100%worth the effort. I always include cheese in my green bean casserole (and sometimes bacon too🙊). Sometimes I even go so far as to fry my own onions, but I’m not going to put that on you guys.
So, I think you should forget everything that you’ve come to believe about the kitschiness of green bean casserole and try my green bean casserole from scratch!
Shared on Meal Plan Monday on Southern Bite!
Yield: 9-12 side dish servings
15 minPrep Time:
45 minCook Time:
1 hrTotal Time:
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 large Vidalia onion or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, half-and-half, or whole milk
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 ounces packaged French Fried Onions
- Preheat the oven to 350? Fahrenheit.
- Place a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the green beans, water, and a good pinch of salt. Cover and cook until the green beans are tender, 20-30 minutes. Drain and wipe out the pan.
- Set the skillet back over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft. Sprinkle with the flour and stir and cook for about a minute. Slowly stir in the chicken stock then the cream/half-and-half/milk. Cook until thickened then stir in the cheese until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir the cooked green beans into the sauce. Sprinkle the fried onions evenly over the top. Bake the casserole for 25-30 minutes, until bubbly. Serve immediately.
Cook time does not include time to cook green beans.
- Calories 2244
- Total Fat: 180 g 276.92%
- Saturated Fat: g 0%
- Cholesterol: mg 0%
- Sodium: mg 0%
- Potassium: mg 0%
- Total Carbohydrate: 113 g %
- Sugar: g
- Protein: 58 g
- Vitamin A: 0%
- Calcium: mg 0%
- Iron: mg 0%