This cranberry white chocolate popcorn is a perfect Christmas gift for the friend (relative, co-worker) who has everything!
So here we go again with the popcorn and the cranberries and white chocolate; I don’t know what it was, but cranberry white chocolate popcorn just came to me. I’m quite certain I’m not the first person who thought of it, just as I am certain that I won’t be the last, but that doesn’t matter. All I know is that once I thought of cranberry white chocolate popcorn I needed to make it. ASAP.
My peppermint bark popcorn last week was a pretty gigantic hit with my family, particularly my sister, who loves all things minty as much as I do (we’ve been singing the praises of Andes peppermint crunch baking chips through text messages for two weeks now). Philip though? Not so much. He doesn’t care for mint things much. More for me, I guess, but when my favorite jeans don’t fit that’s little consolation. For that reason, I try to avoid making too many minty treats.
Luckily, cranberry white chocolate is a little more up his alley, though truth be told he doesn’t care much for white chocolate either (funny, he sounds kind of picky as I’m typing this, but he isn’t…truthfully he’ll eat anything I make…even when I take one bite and decide that I have to make myself a grilled cheese-it’s happened), but somehow it worked for him here. The marshmallow and white chocolate coating helps the popcorn to mingle nicely, not just with the other fluffy popped kernels but also with the cranberries and the nuts. The flavors from the accents aren’t overwhelming, just enough to announce their presence (by the way, you can leave the nuts out if you want, or use a different kind. If I had time to shell pistachios I think they’d work beautifully here). Like the cranberry white chocolate chip cookies in a jar I posted Tuesday, or last week’s peppermint popcorn, this cranberry white chocolate popcorn is a perfect Christmas gift for the friend (relative, co-worker) who has everything!
Make cranberry white chocolate popcorn for someone special!
Yield: About 10 cups of popcorn
10 minPrep Time:
10 minCook Time:
20 minTotal Time:
- 2 tablespoons canola, vegetable, or coconut oil
- 2/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 12 ounce bag white chocolate chips
- 5 ounce bag dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- Pop the popcorn: Heat the oil over medium heat in a pan at least 4 quarts in capacity. Add the popcorn kernels and cover. Cook, shaking the pan frequently to prevent burning, until popping stops. Pour the popcorn into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are completely melted. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave at 50% power for 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the chips are completely melted.
- Working quickly, pour the marshmallow mixture over the popcorn and stir to coat. Add the white chocolate, cranberries, and walnuts and again stir to coat completely. Spread on a sheet pan or wax/parchment paper to dry. Store in a large storage bag.
Print the recipe for cranberry white chocolate popcorn!