This club sandwich stromboli is made with all the ingredients of a club sandwich, wrapped up in pizza dough and baked till melty and delicious!
I’m going to let you in on a secret…I don’t really like sandwiches all that much, cold sandwiches anyway. As you can imagine, this is a dilemma for someone who doesn’t usually have access to a microwave to heat up a lunch (packing lunch is not the point of this story, though). If I can assemble a sandwich fresh, i.e. with room temperature bread, then I’m good. I hate eating a sandwich on cold bread, though.
It’s a rare occasion that I order a cold sandwich in a restaurant, though. That restaurant staple, the club sandwich, just doesn’t really ring my bell. There is just something about cold lunch meat piled thickly on a sandwich that just doesn’t really do it for me (I go pretty light on the cold lunch meat and err on the side of cheese and vegetables when I’m making a cold sandwich for myself).
What I do like, though, is a good hot sandwich. Grilled cheese, Philly cheesesteak, hot ham and cheese….if it’s a hot sandwich, I’m probably going to be all about it.
Making a hot club sandwich would be simple enough, but I decided that turkey, ham, cheese, and bacon wrapped in pizza dough sounded pretty sublime. And you know what? I was right. This club sandwich stromboli is as simple as any sandwich can get and so tasty. I thought about making an avocado mayonnaise to dip it in, but ultimately I decided that honey mustard was perfect-quick, made with ingredients you probably have in the house, and, unlike avocado mayo, it lasts a few days without you having to worry about it turning brown.
Yield: 4 servings
10 minPrep Time:
15 minCook Time:
- 1/2 pound pizza dough (I used the quick pizza dough recipe listed here
- flour for rolling out dough
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 ounces thinly sliced deli turkey
- 4 ounces thinly sliced deli ham
- 4 sandwich slices cheese of your choice (I used Muenster)
- 1 egg whisked with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- honey mustard dipping sauce for serving
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees (if you have a baking stone, preheat it in the oven as well).
- Roll out the pizza dough into a 10-12 inch long rectangle on a floured surface. I like to use parchment paper for rolling it out, which will make it easier to transfer the rolled stromboli to the baking pan.
- Sprinkle the bacon evenly onto the rectangle of pizza dough. Shingle the turkey, ham, and cheese onto the pizza dough.
- Roll the pizza dough up into a tight cylinder then seal the ends. Brush with the egg wash and place on a baking sheet or onto the preheated baking stone. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Remove the stromboli from the oven. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before cutting into slices. Serve with honey mustard dipping sauce.
Prep time does not include time to make pizza dough or cook bacon. You can buy pre-made pizza dough if you don't want to make your own.
Click here to print the recipe for club sandwich stromboli!