BBQ pork chili marries two easy game day foods (chili and barbecue, duh) into one delicious bowl. It’s a great way to use up leftover pulled pork (if there IS such a thing)!
So, apparently I am not only on a cheeseburger kick this Fall…I’m also on a chili kick. Seriously, if you look at my list of blog post ideas, there’s a section where every other idea is some sort of chili (in fact, I have another new chili recipe on my menu for this week).
Originally, the idea for this post was BBQ chicken chili. For some reason, when I think of chili I tend to forget about pork. How silly of me! Luckily, I saved myself from doing something rash. See, the way I plan my menu is to flip through my blog post ideas to see if there’s anything that sounds particularly good. I’ll pick one or two items off of that list then flip through cookbooks or Pinterest for the rest of my menu.
So this particular week, I happened to have two bags of shredded pork shoulder in the freezer, left over from a slow cooker meal I’d made. When we eat barbecue, it’s usually pork shoulder (aka Boston butt). It dawned on me…if I usually eat pork barbecue, why on earth would I make my BBQ chili with chicken?
So here you go. BBQ pork chili. It’s about as simple as it gets. Shredded pork, homemade barbecue sauce (I won’t be mad if you use bottled, but this is so easy…I just simmered it while I cooked the onions for the chili in the other pot), tomatoes, and beans. That’s it! Top it however you want, or don’t top it at all. Either way, it’s got chili flavor and barbecue flavor…how could you possibly go wrong with the BBQ pork chili?
Yield: 4-6 servings
5 minPrep Time:
25 minCook Time:
- 2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (you can use all brown sugar or all maple syrup if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded pork shoulder
- 1 14.5 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 ounce can cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- BBQ sauce - recipe above
- cheese, sour cream, cilantro, chopped green onions & corn chips - for serving (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the BBQ sauce ingredients. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, heat the oil over medium heat in a 4-6 quart pot. Add the onions and cook until they begin to turn translucent, 4-6 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, pork shoulder, beans, and BBQ sauce to the pot. Bring to a simmer. Cook the chili over medium-low heat for 15 minutes to meld the flavors. Serve immediately with cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, chopped green onions, and/or corn chips if desired.
Click here to print the recipe for BBQ pork chili!