This BBQ bowl with pulled pork, potatoes, coleslaw, and cheese is a one-bowl meal that is great for using up your leftovers!
By now, you guys know my obsession with repurposing leftovers. I’ll gladly eat the same thing for an entire week if I can turn it into some new delicious dish every single night. Variety is key. I guess some people just don’t like the taste of leftovers, but in my opinion there are some many things that taste better a day or two after you cook them. It seems like a waste (well, it doesn’t seem like a waste, it is a waste) to let perfectly good leftovers sit in your fridge till they go bad, or to just trash them with no intention of eating them later. Leftovers save me so much money.
BBQ is kind of the ultimate leftover player. Well, really shredded meat of any kind, barbecue sauce aside. What CAN’T you do with shredded meat? When I have barbecue or any kind of shreddable meat in my house, it’s open season. Tacos! Soups! Sandwiches! Stuffed potatoes! Pizza! All bets are off. Whether it’s pork, beef, or chicken, if I’ve got shreddable meat in my house, it’s gonna get used. All of it.
Putting it in a BBQ bowl wasn’t really my idea, I’ll admit. I first saw it on the Facebook page of a friend who ordered something along those lines at a restaurant and shared a picture of it. I have no idea what was in that BBQ bowl, but I wrote it down and every time I have shredded meat in the house, I think about it. I even made it once, but I think I lost the will to take photos of it. That’s okay, because the BBQ bowl is back and better than ever. This version has breakfast potatoes, shredded pork (mine was leftover from my pressure cooker pork shoulder, but you can use whatever you’ve got), barbecue sauce, coleslaw, cheese, and chopped pickles. Pretty fantastic, if you ask me. Facebook is good for something!
Next time you have leftover meat to shred, make a BBQ bowl!
Yield: 4 servings
15 minPrep Time:
20 minCook Time:
35 minTotal Time:
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings, canola oil, or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3-4 small potatoes, baked and cut into cubes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded pork (or other meat) (you can use more meat if you want a more substantial dish)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce plus more for drizzling
- 1 cup coleslaw
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped dill pickles
- In a medium pan (I use a 10-inch cast iron pan), heat the bacon drippings or oil. Sauce the onions until they begin to soften. Add the potatoes and cook, stirring every few minutes, until browned and crispy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide among 4 bowls.
- Heat the shredded pork with the barbecue sauce. Divide among the bowls, topping the potatoes. Top with coleslaw, shredded cheese, chopped pickles, and, if desired, a drizzle of barbecue sauce. Serve immediately.
For other great recipes, check out the Weekend Potluck Link-Up on Served Up With Love!