Air fryer baked potatoes have the same crispy skin and fluffy interior as potatoes baked in the oven, in 3/4 the time! Air-fried baked potatoes are so easy! All you need is a little oil and, if you like, some kosher salt or sea salt. Keep reading to learn how to bake a potato in the air fryer that is restaurant quality.
For as long as I can remember, baked potatoes have been one of my very favorite foods. If an entree at a restaurant comes with a baked potato, I’m going to order the baked potato. Yes, I will choose a baked potato over fries. Twice baked potatoes are my love language. #bakedpotatolove
Air fryer baked potatoes were a bit of a revelation. Baking potatoes in the air fryer gives you the same crispy skin and fluffy interior that baking potatoes in the oven gives you. Imagine my delight when I first baked potatoes in my air fryer and they were done a full 15 minutes earlier than if I had baked them in the oven!
I’ll admit, it’s not like baking potatoes in the oven is a challenge. Still, I have a few reasons that I like baking potatoes in the air fryer.
Why Make Baked Potatoes in the Air Fryer?
- You don’t have to preheat the oven – you can just throw the potatoes in the air fryer and get them started!
- It’s quicker than baking the potatoes in the oven – not only do you not have to preheat the oven, the air fryer cuts the bake time by about 25%.
- Unlike microwaved “baked” potatoes, air frying potatoes gives you the same crispy skin you get from baking potatoes in the oven.
- When it’s hot, you don’t have to heat up the house for that perfect crispy-skinned baked potato! This is a big plus for me, because it gets so hot here in the summer!
So How Do You Bake a Potato in the Air Fryer?
- Scrub the potatoes
- Poke the potatoes with a fork several times
- Oil the potatoes
- Salt the potatoes (optional)
- Bake the potatoes
- Serve the potatoes – done and done!
Yield: 4 potatoes
10 minPrep Time:
45 minCook Time:
55 minTotal Time:
- 4 medium-to-large Russet potatoes, scrubbed and wiped dry
- oil of your preference - I like coconut oil, but you can use olive oil, vegetable oil, canola oil, or shortening
- 1/4 cup fine kosher or sea salt (I use Diamond Crystals) - optional
- Using a fork, poke several holes in each potato. Rub the potatoes liberally with whichever oil you are using.
- If using salt, pour the salt into a plate. Roll the potatoes in the salt until well-coated. I used my fingers to press the salt onto the potatoes.
- Place the prepared potatoes into the basket of your air fryer and place into the air fryer. Set the temperature at 400 degrees and bake for 45-50 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center passes through with no resistance. Allow to stand for about 10 minutes before handling.
- Serve with desired toppings.
You can easily scale this recipe up or down depending on how many people you are feeding. If your air fryer is pretty full, I would move the potatoes around several times during cooking to encourage even cooking. You may need to add time to the cook time for a large number of potatoes. My large air fryer would hold about 8 large potatoes.