With brown butter (and double butter, at that) and salt, these salted brown butter Rice Krispies treats are sure to be the best you’ve ever had! (Scroll down for video!)
I’ve always liked Rice Krispie treats. I remember making them as a kid, melting the butter then stirring in the marshmallows and the crispy rice cereal….pressing them into the pan and attempting to keep them from sticking like fly paper to my hands. As an adult, though, they haven’t really been on my radar. I have no idea why not. I can recall making them once, maybe twice in the last ten years. I used brown puffed rice cereal, which just isn’t as crispy as white. Sorry, I know it’s healthier. It just isn’t the same.
I pinned the recipe that led me to this recipe ages ago…when I look at the pin, it doesn’t tell me the date. It just tells me it was 40 weeks ago. As I was reading off the names of recipes on my Sweets Overload! board, Philip’s ears definitely perked up at the mention of salted brown butter Rice Krispie treats. Simple enough. When I clicked on the pin, though, I was led to one of my favorite food blogs-Smitten Kitchen-and discovered that this was actually a fail recipe. Too dense and hard. Deb, the writer, had tried again some time later, though, and was able to come up with a recipe that was most definitely not a failure.
I’m not going to lie…I stirred this butter forEVER. Seriously. Like an hour. The recipe says to brown it over medium-low heat. When I do these again, I’ll do it over medium…I’ll just have to be sure to watch closely. I also included kosher salt in the photos and then remembered that I had fleur de sel in the pantry, so I thought, “What the heck?” The little ramekin of kosher salt definitely looks cuter in the pics than the little baggie of fleur de sel anyway.
The verdict? Salted brown butter Rice Krispie treats kick regular Rice Krispie treats’ tails any day. ANY day. These are so good, I am quite certain that I will never even consider making the regular kind again. They are so easy…the only thing that requires any effort is the browning of the butter. Amazing.
By the way, Deb Perelman’s recipe is featured in her original Smitten Kitchen Cookbook. Her second cookbook, Smitten Kitchen Every Day comes out on October 24. I ordered mine months ago! She has wonderful recipes. I encourage you to check out her website and her books!
Yield: 16 squares
5 minPrep Time:
10 minCook Time:
- 1 stick unsalted butter plus more for buttering the pan
- 1 bag miniature marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 6 ounces (1/2 of a regular size box) crisped rice cereal
- Generously butter an 8 x 8 dish.
- Place the stick of butter into a Dutch oven over medium heat. Don't throw away the wrapper-I like to smear a little bit of the butter that I used to butter the pan onto the wrapper (I'll use this at the end).
- Cook the butter, stirring frequently, until browned bits separate and the butter stops foaming. Don't walk away or you'll burn the butter!
- Stir in the marshmallows and the salt. Stir until completely melted and smooth and remove from heat.
- Add the cereal and stir until completely coated with the marshmallows. Spread into the buttered pan. Use the buttered wrapper to press the mixture into the pan.
- Allow the Rice Krispies treats to cool completely. Turn out of the pan and cut into squares.
This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you click a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission. This does not affect the cost to you. For more information, please see my disclosures. Thank you for supporting my blog!