This Buffalo chicken grilled cheese is easy, delicious, and just a little bit indulgent. It’s a great simple weeknight dinner!
Do you ever get in a food jag? You know, where you only ever want to eat one thing and you want to eat that thing all the time? Lately, I’ve been in a food jag of my own of sorts. Not really so much that I just want to eat one thing over and over, but I’ve definitely been craving a few specific types of food lately.
I love all kinds of food. Vegetables, fruits, cheese, meat, snack food, you name it…I’ll eat it. I work hard to keep myself from getting stuck in a “you can’t eat that” mentality. It works for me, because if I tried to restrict certain foods from my diet I would definitely turn into a dietary rebel…you know, someone who eats all the things that they’re “not supposed to eat”. So while I try to cook from scratch whenever possible, I’m cool with Doritos when they’re the only thing that will do (because it happens) and I don’t deny myself a Buffalo chicken grilled cheese.
This is a recipe that I published for the first time several years ago. Actually, 2012, right after my precious niece was born. I included a picture of her in the original post, so now you can compare a picture of her then to a picture of her now. She’s the best!
The idea for this Buffalo chicken grilled cheese originally came from Closet Cooking, but this is my own recipe. I shredded up a batch of my dry-brined chicken and mixed it with some cream cheese and hot sauce (I stick with the basics and use Frank’s). All four pieces of bread get some shredded cheddar then the chicken gets sandwiched between the cheese. Butter makes the bread crisp when you toast it in the oven, and there’s no flipping, which helps you avoid the danger of the sandwich falling apart on you.
These Buffalo chicken grilled cheese sandwiches are a super-simple dinner for when you need to indulge yourself a little bit!
Yield: serves 4 moderately hungry or 2 very hungry people
This recipe was inspired by Closet Cooking.
15 minPrep Time:
14 minCook Time:
29 minTotal Time:
- 1 recipe dry-brined chicken thighs, shredded
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 4 slices sturdy sandwich bread (I used Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse Hearty White)
- 4 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Blue Cheese dressing (homemade or store-bought - I've included a recipe in the notes)
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Place the shredded chicken in a medium pan and set over medium heat. Add the cream cheese and the hot sauce and stir until the cream cheese is completely melted and all of the ingredients are completely combined.
- Divide half of the cheese between two slices of bread. Top with the chicken (you may have a little bit of chicken left over) then top with remaining cheese and the remaining bread.
- Brush the tops of the bread with half of the butter then flip the sandwiches and brush the other side with the remaining butter.
- Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet and bake for seven minutes. Flip and bake for another seven minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately with blue cheese dressing for dipping.
To make blue cheese dressing, combine 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, and 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese in a food processor or blender until well combined. Transfer to a jar or bowl and stir in another 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese. This recipe is adapted from The Food Lab by Kenji Lopez-Alt .